Machu Picchu, the iconic Inca citadel built among the Peruvian Andes, is still a bucket-list destination for travelers worldwide. Therefore, booking tickets to this wonder of the world has been becoming an adventure in itself, riddled with changes, regulations, and fluctuating availability. So, before you hit the road toward a new experience, let’s clear the doubts and decipher the current landscape of Machu Picchu tickets.
Despite pandemic ends and social mobilizations stopped, Tourism in Peru is gradually bouncing back to successful times. In addition, all travel agencies, that provide a sort of touristic services for any passenger, keep improving their activities to attract more travelers. However, the desire to return to being a potential destination for tourism is more complex due to the inefficient online system for buying Machu Picchu tickets.
On one hand, the Peruvian ministry of Culture try to make a deal with joinnus to begin to use this online platform to offer Machu Picchu tickets for 4 months. While the tickets will be sold through that company, the minister will be improving their own online system.
On the other hand, several Peruvian travel agencies argue that deal for online shops of machu Picchu tickets is the first step to privatize the historical sanctuary. Due to friendships and relationships between the owners of Joinnus and the ministry of Culture.
Therefore, new guidelines have been implemented, such as mandatory dates for certain reserves and limited number of ticket types per travel agency. The demand for trains is increasing as well and if you don’t get in contact with an official travel operator, perhaps you couldn’t buy a train ticket. Familiarize yourself with these regulations to ensure a smooth coordination and journey.
Types of Machu Picchu Tickets
There are 5 types of entrance to machu picchu tickets, and each one allows you to visit different spots throughout the inka citadel:
- Machu Picchu Citadel: Suitable for passengers who has gotten full-day Machu Picchu tour. By the way, this machu picchu ticket boasts 4 different circuits. If you are up to reach the high plataform to take the iconic photos, you must choose circuit 1 or 2, meanwhile if you prefer to walk where the inkas used to live in Machu Picchu, you must get circuit 3 or 4.
- Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu: Just one day is not enough to enjoy “the young mountain” that embellishes Machu Picchu, and this ticket not only allows you to hike through an ancient trail towards the top of Huayna Picchu, also it includes the circuit 4 to visit the citadel. Moreover, the best way to make the most of this Machu Picchu ticket is by booking the 2-day machu picchu huayna picchu tour.
- Machu Picchu + Mountain: For real adventurers! This option takes you to the top of the highest mountain among the whole Machu Picchu Sanctuary and allows you to get the circuit 3 for visiting the citadel. In case you want to add a tour for this ticket, we suggest the 2-day Machu Picchu tour.
- Machu Picchu + Huchuy Picchu: The only chance to get a brief hiking while visit the ancient citadel! Known as “the small mountain”, this destination is reaching and reaching more popularity due to its easy access and short trail to reach its top. Furthermore, this machu picchu ticket includes the circuit 4 and is a perfect way to upgrade a Machu Picchu and Sacred Valley tour.
- Machu Picchu + Inka Bridge: Get to know the only ancient bridge that exist in this Andean remain! This option is the only one that offers to get the circuit 1 or 2, which means a visit around the whole inka citadel. And there is not a better tour for this entrance to machu picchu ticket than the luxury journey to machu picchu.
There are several ways to buy entrance to machu picchu tickets, but the most reliable source to purchase them is through the official website of the Ministry of Culture of Peru. This platform offers all official ticket types and is getting updates almost every day due to it crashes when many people are buying the tickets.
Another option to buy official machu picchu tickets is through the help of an Authorized Tour Operator, which offer ticket and itinerary packages, taking care of the complexities and providing additional guidance. Choose licensed operators with good reviews to ensure a smooth experience.
Nevertheless, beware of unofficial websites and black-market vendors offering cheap tickets. These are often invalid and can lead to disappointment and financial loss. Stick to trusted sources and avoid deals that seem too good to be true.
Remember, the journey to Machu Picchu is part of the adventure. With patience, flexibility, and a thirst for exploration, you’ll undoubtedly create unforgettable memories in this enchanting corner of the world. So, pack your hiking boots, embrace the challenge, contact us and set off on your own Peruvian odyssey!